We are currently auditioning for our new musical, GUY. More info see below, or check out our announcement on Mandy or Spotlight.
From the creators of The Marriage of Kim K comes GUY, a new electronic-pop musical by multi-award-winning musical-theatre company Leoe&Hyde. A character-driven gay rom-com about life and dating in the 2010s, GUY follows the highs and lows of millenial attempts to find love online, with a score inspired by everyone from Ollie Alexander and Sam Smith to Pharrell Williams, Marvin Gaye, and more. The show premieres at London’s Bunker Theatre in June with an 8-night run, followed by a short tour.
Candidates will be strong actors, with dynamic voices and dance/movement experience. There are four roles available (all male - see below for breakdown). This is a fantastic opportunity to work alongside a company known for bold and ambitious original work, led by director Sam Ward.
Guy, a shy and overweight millenial, is failing in the departments of mates, dates and fun - dating apps can be cruel if you don’t look like a model. When he’s ghosted by his Romeo, he tries to follow the latest 11-step listicle to get noticed: diets, exercise regimes, and a new wardrobe... but can he resist the temptation of being someone else when the chance is literally at his fingertips? In a reality of lonely binges, dirty sheets and unattainable bodies, you have to learn the hard way that the only person you need to be is yourself.
Sometimes sexy, always real, GUY is a game-changing gay rom-com for the 2010s: with nakedly honest characters; an unapologetically moving portrayal of the hook-ups and downs of 21st-century dating; and a thought-provoking glimpse behind the veil of modern masculinity, male beauty standards, and unspoken prejudices within marginal communities. Tied together with a pioneering and infectiously catchy electronic score, GUY channels floor-filling EDM anthems, indie electronica, queer hip-hop, and PC Music with the lyrical charm of Sondheim, and the earworm melodies of Schwartz.
Check out some clips here:
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- Strong voices - Whether you're trained in musical theatre, or are an actor with a strong pop voice, you will be equally comfortable with solos and ensemble work.
- Effective characterization - You will be able to embody the worlds of the characters you will portray, bringing them to life with authenticity and nuance.
- Positive Team-players - You enjoy working as part of a close ensemble cast, especially for scenes with movement and choreography.
We are proud to pay our actors/singers at Equity Fringe rates.
To apply, email us at email@example.com a bit about you and why you think you'd be great for this project. Please also send us a vocal reel, or a cover of a contemporary song.
If invited to the first round of auditions, you'll be asked to prepare:
- A pop song or contemporary musical theatre song (either a capella or with a backing track) which shows your voice at its best.
- A short extract from a play / TV show / film that demonstrates your ability to portray complex, contemporary characters.